Hallicrafters HT-40 transmitter 80-10m FS

Electronics-related items for sale/trade; Swap-meets, Hamfests.
Forum rules
FOR NON-COMMERICAL POSTINGS ONLY! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. FreeRadioCafe.com does not verify, endorse, or accept any responsibility for any items posted or transactions resulting from use of this forum.
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Andrew Yoder
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Hallicrafters HT-40 transmitter 80-10m FS

Post by Andrew Yoder » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:03 pm

1960s Hallicrafters HT-40 transmitter $40 + shipping. This is one of a few different crystal-controlled AM/CW novice transmitters from the ‘60s that pirates collectively called “shoebox transmitters” in the ‘80s & early ‘90s.

Condition: Missing the case & original knobs have been replaced. How could someone lose the case? I ran it into a dummy load and it fires up fine. Not sure exactly how much power it’s putting out, but I think it was about 30-40 watts peak on 43m & maybe about 10-20 watts on 15m (21 MHz)

The audio to this transmitter is input through an obsolete microphone connector on the back. I alligator-clipped an audio cable to the transmitter (bypassing the connector) and played music. The modulation sounded OK…screen modulation, restricted for voice use, and using the carrier-controlled scheme.

Application: I could see someone really enjoying using this as either a first transmitter or for use on the higher-frequency bands. It’s a great price for all of the frequencies in which this could be used. Because it’s missing the case, it’s not exactly a good transmitter to either let sit where anyone could touch it while it’s operating or for mobile operation. I could imagine it being kept at someone’s cabin or powered shed…it uses 110 VAC, but only draws about 90 watts in, so it could be run on a battery & most inverters as well.

Reliability: Didn’t hear any hum from the electrolytic caps, so my thought is that they’ll last for years. But if you want to be safe, replace them. I didn’t test the tubes, but the crystal oscillated, audio sounded decent, and the power output seemed pretty good, so I didn’t feel like there was a reason to test them.

Media: Photos available upon request. I might be able to do a video, too. Still experimenting with that…

Shipping/packing: I’m planning to double box it. These don’t weigh much for “boat anchors,” I’ve seen them listed at about 19 lbs. online, apparently mostly the power & modulation transformers.

I'll include a copy of the manual & a couple of FT-243 crystals

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable