Building a very simple AM voice transmitter

Pirate radio transmitters, transmitting antenna systems, pirate radio equipment suitable for AM or shortwave broadcasting. Reviews, modifications, other info specific to shortwave pirate radio broadcasting.
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
muremanon
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Building a very simple AM voice transmitter

Post by muremanon » Thu May 26, 2011 3:17 pm

http://sci-toys.com/scitoys/scitoys/rad ... itter.html
i use one of these for listening while outside as shown in diagram it will have low audio output i hooked a jumper wire from the + side of the power source to the antenna output it increased the audio level i use 4 AA batteries a long length of wire for a antenna and no earth ground a neat easy little toy ;)

Shiny Beast
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Building a very simple AM voice transmitter

Post by Shiny Beast » Mon May 21, 2012 9:44 pm

Several Years ago I messed around with AM transmitters. My best results were a small amp attached to one of those Home Real Estate Transmitters. A friend drove about a mile or so one evening and still heard me, though the antenna was very directional and almost impossible to match and ground. I did my best to modify a 160 meter ham antenna design and even played with a MFJ random wire tuner, with limited results.
Warning, AM horror story: When I was just getting into radio, I blew up and beautiful Viking transmitter (the big red one, think it was a Valiant, I've had them both) modifying it for the AM band. I either read or was told that adding capacitance to the front would allow me to tune past 160 meters to AM broadcast band. It did, I think it was about 170 watts for about ten minutes and then it just stopped. That thing was great, the lights would dim when it keyed down and it made a hearty "clunk" sound.