YouKits TJ2A

Pirate radio transmitters, transmitting antenna systems, pirate radio equipment suitable for AM or shortwave broadcasting. Reviews, modifications, other info specific to shortwave pirate radio broadcasting.
Andrew Yoder

YouKits TJ2A

Post by Andrew Yoder » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:35 pm

(apologies that I also posted this at frn.net, but a lot of the folks posting on the techie forum here aren't posting there. I thought it was kind of interesting & might get some folks thinking/building/experimenting, etc.)

Haven't heard anyone mention these...and to some extent they fit into the "Why bother?" category, but I think it's still pretty interesting.

The TJ2A is a handheld, battery-operated 3.5- to 4-watt SSB transceiver for the 40- and 20-meter bands. It's a kit that costs $200. That's pricey compared to building your own Corsair or picking up a used HW-101 that will put out a lot more SSB power.

However, I like the combination of:
* QRP SSB
* 40/20m
* handheld

It could make for some really interesting 20-m tests. Not sure if changing the frequency range would just be a matter of replacing the crystal or ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Youkits-TJ2A-HF-2-B ... 4159a33d66

Gristle
Location: Central Wisconsin(State currently under occupation by a fascist corpratocracy)

Re: YouKits TJ2A

Post by Gristle » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:59 pm

Looks neat Andy! Handheld too that's kind of cool.

Andrew Yoder

Post by Andrew Yoder » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:14 am

Someone asked me to post a link here. Not sure if he wants his name mentioned, so I won't. He said he's tried this homebrew xmtr with good results:

http://www.see.ed.ac.uk/~jwp/radio/projects/dsb/

JohnPoet
Site Admin

Post by JohnPoet » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:56 am

I wish someone would come up with a printed circuit board for the Commando... or even a kit. Having to chase down all these parts and not knowing exactly what to do on coils, transformers and such pretty much keeps me from getting started on something like that.
John Poet
"A treasonous voice of dissent"
Free Radio Cafe Board Admin

Free Radio Cafe on Facebook
Follow FRC Loggings on Twitter

f fred

Post by f fred » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:05 pm

JohnPoet wrote:I wish someone would come up with a printed circuit board for the Commando... or even a kit. Having to chase down all these parts and not knowing exactly what to do on coils, transformers and such pretty much keeps me from getting started on something like that.
John - I just now noticed your post here. I've successfully built two Commandos within the last five years. If you need some help, just ask, I might be able to help. Also, I know Dave Martin has checked in, and hey, nothin' like asking the source. One word of warning; the Commando goes together easily but can be a bugger to tweak up - typical of a class-e amp. An oscilloscope really helps here. Good luck with your project!

fred
Proponent of "Two-Fisted Pirating" - with a Radio Animal Grenade in one hand, and a Mickey's Grenade in the other...