Recomendations.

General Discussion of Pirate Radio, Free Radio, Pirate Radio Stations, Pirate Radio Listening, Shortwave Listening, Music, Movies, Society, Culture, & whatever else.
Andy Richards

Recomendations.

Post by Andy Richards » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:39 pm

Living in London,England and having been a Pirate operator & listener for over 40 years,I have yet to hear an American Pirate.

Far too long!

I get the impression that there are very few,if any,American Pirates that can usually be heard at the same time on the same frequency
every week.In other words,you don't have regular Pirates in the same sense that we do in Europe.

But can any of you give me "Rough" times,days and frequencies to monitor,just so I can get a chance at catching a station?

With the good current night time conditions and reading the great logs for Wolverine(Even heard on a UK based remote reciever)
then it should be possible.

Andy Richards.

Renegade Radio

Re: Recomendations.

Post by Renegade Radio » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:41 pm

Andy, The pirate seen on shortwave has slowed down here in the US I think due to some recent busts of well known stations. And the fact that the weather is getting nicer, and propagation has been up and down. But your best bet would be to listen from 0200 UTC TO 0600 UTC most nights of the week mostly on Friday Saturday or Sunday. As for the frequencies mostly the 41 meter band from 6925 being the most popular up to 6955 AM or USB mode. Good Luck! Renegade Radio

terry newfoundland

Post by terry newfoundland » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:09 pm

Hi Andy:

Broadcasts in the US are, indeed, more sporadic and unpredicable than Europe. And ops seem to be particularly cautious at the moment.

Weekends tend to be the most active time in the US, usually starting at or near local sunset in the east. In summer, this can be 0100-0200 UTC .. rather late in Europe. There are sometimes earlier shows, but signals do not travel too far in daylight.

Most stations cluster around 6925-6950, but some may use 6800-6925, either in am or usb mode.

This is pretty general, but it is impossible to be more specific.

There are generally a few US and Canadian listeners in Iann's chat late night on weekends, who are always happy to share info about who is on with our European friends, so this is a good source of info.

Best of luck.

Cheers, Terry
St. John's, Newfoundland
JRC NRD-525 with 75 long wire

http://freeradioreport.blogspot.com

norway dxer

Post by norway dxer » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:50 am

From my experience summer is an excellent time to listen to NA pirates. For some reason the transatlantic conditions (at least NA–Norway) seem to be better at this time of year than in the winter. My own observations are (I think) confirmed by this very useful site: http://www.voacap.com/coverage.html. (I'm a little confused by the maps I get, though.) (Try e.g. Boston and 50W CW; the NA pirates will often be audible and identifiable even when it’s hard to obtain an SSB contact on 40m, hence CW.)

I think Renegade Radio is right when he says 02.00-06.00 UTC (although few NA pirates will be on the air as late as 06.00 UTC). Local sunrise here in Norway is at approx. 04:00 local time at the moment (02.00 UTC), so it’s actually light outside when the NA pirates are at their strongest! (Very convenient if you have to go outside to listen!)

As you’ll see from the VOACAP site, it’s generally much easier to hear NA pirates in countries such as France and Britain than in Norway. So if I can hear things here, you should be able to pick up something in London (although I think you may have to get away from the local noise. Perhaps you have a park nearby?)

Good luck, Andy! I’m sure you’ll hear something!

Kai

terry newfoundland

Post by terry newfoundland » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:56 pm

Kai: I have also noticed that it is much more difficult to hear pirates from Scandanavia here than ones from the UK, Holland or southern Europe. Stations from Holland can be clearly audible, while similarly powered stations from Norway or Finland are only weak carriers. Not sure of the reason ...

The time difference is certainly a problem at this time of year. The sunrise greyline should be a good time in Europe, but it is so early in summer, particularly up north where you are.

(Andy: I have known US dxers to leave their radios on all night, recording 6925 usb, (or the whole band) and they check the recording the next day. Not real dxing, IMHO, but it is one way to catch a late night signal.)

Activity in the US has been very low the past few weeks. There has been a fair degree of caution, some would say even paranoia, in the US lately. Some of this is being artificially induced, and I suspect it will pass soon.

Cheers, Terry
St. John's, Newfoundland
JRC NRD-525 with 75 long wire

http://freeradioreport.blogspot.com

Lex

Post by Lex » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:18 pm

I'd credit my handful of catches of European pirates to lurking on IRC. When someone with better reception notes a catch, I'd tune to that station and sometimes take a portable outdoors to get away from household RFI. I've caught Spider Radio and Mystery Radio that way, but might have missed both if I hadn't been tipped by other listeners while the band was hot.

Propagation now is erratic at best and often miserable, so there's less activity here in the U.S. this year than last. Makes it even more helpful to get a heads up from fellow DXers when a station is active.

And I'm using Global Tuners remotes a lot this year - I'd estimate 75% of the shows I've logged this year were via those remote tuners. I switch around between a couple in the UK, a couple in Canada and a few scattered throughout the U.S. Before propagation took a dive this year I'd bet 75% of my catches were via my own receiver.

A lot of it is sheer luck. Sometimes I get better reception on my own receiver with an indoor antenna than I do with a remote tuner than has a full wave outdoor antenna, simply because of fickle propagation.
The Unpleasant Frequencies Crew:
Al - Palstar R30C w/ RF Systems EMF
Snoopy - Sony ICF-2010
Roger - Magnavox D2935
(Archive of off-air recordings.)