Regarding KIPM rebroadcast/relays, & "authorization"?

General Discussion of Pirate Radio, Free Radio, Pirate Radio Stations, Pirate Radio Listening, Shortwave Listening, Music, Movies, Society, Culture, & whatever else.
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
The Poet

Regarding KIPM rebroadcast/relays, & "authorization"?

Post by The Poet » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:43 pm

Someone was recently logged purportedly transmitting a program originally done by KIPM's Alan Maxwell.

On the FRN loggings, John Arthur makes the following comment:

"Perhaps another unauthorized relay of a KIPM program?"
http://www.frn.net/vines/Forum4/HTML/020705.html

On the archive.org page where all of Maxwell's KIPM shows are archived, it states the following:

"Alan Maxwell has requested that in turn for downloading or distributing copies of this
work that the recipient consider donating or investing in pirate radio effort or to a
dedicated pirate radio web site.... The public is allowed to share, archive and copy these
works but permission is strictly not given to re-edit or to use for pecuniary gain.
Re-broadcasting is also encouraged."

So, has anyone had any actual recent contact with Alan Maxwell, specifically about these old KIPM programs,
and his current wishes regarding any rebroadcasts/relays of them?

Has there been any change in his feelings about this?

A complete archive of Alan Maxwell/ KIPM programs with downloads, appears here:

The Poet
"A treasonous voice of dissent"
'Demonstrating a Deliberate Disregard for the FCC's Authority and Its Rules,' Amen!

The Crystal Ship :: Shortwave Pirate Radio
tcsshortwave@gmail.com
Free Radio Cafe on Facebook
Follow FRC Loggings on Twitter

Gristle
Location: Central Wisconsin(State currently under occupation by a fascist corpratocracy)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Regarding KIPM rebroadcast/relays, & "authorization"?

Post by Gristle » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:53 pm

So is it now against some kind new "pirate code" to rebroadcast some one else's work? I mean almost all do anyway in some form or another. Weather it be music, skits, or other sound bites. Who the hell cares if some one rebroadcast KIPM? If the operator of the station is not claiming to be the creator of the program then whats the big deal? Cripes! This is pirate radio :!:

Besides they are awesome shows that are more than worthy of rebroadcast and the risk associated with it. Kudos to whoever did it! Just wish I could have heard it...

Lex
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Lex » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:13 pm

My radios and I were taking an ihateus during the KIPM era. I didn't get back to DXing until around 2006. As soon as I found the studio versions archived online I listened to most of them, around 2007 or 2008. So I considered it a treat to hear relays of those classic KIPM episodes between 2008-2010 the way they were meant to be heard - over the air. Outhouse Radio relayed several KIPM episodes in late 2010, and received many signal reports from appreciative listeners.
The Unpleasant Frequencies Crew:
Al - Palstar R30C w/ RF Systems EMF
Snoopy - Sony ICF-2010
Roger - Magnavox D2935
(Archive of off-air recordings.)

Gristle
Location: Central Wisconsin(State currently under occupation by a fascist corpratocracy)

Post by Gristle » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:35 am

I hear you Lex. KIPM was one of the first pirates I heard on my old Hammerlund HQ145X(found in the garbage). Great stuff and was very excited to hear him. I didn't have internet back then so out went the reception report... Never got a QSL :roll: Oh well. I have never really gotten into collecting or asking for them anyway but the ones I do get I cherish.

AlanMaxwell

Post by AlanMaxwell » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:40 am

Thanks for asking Poet.

I appreciate the opportunity to share my thoughts on two different areas from your posting above:

Regarding “Unauthorized Relays of KIPM”

My position has not changed on relays of KIPM. I’m most honored that station ops take the time, trouble, risk and effort to relay my old programs. I really enjoy seeing the postings from time to time on the forums for relays of KIPM. My special thanks to Dr. Benway @ Undercover R., & also the operator at Outhouse R., who I understand have put out some really strong, high quality relays in the last couple of years. These ops don’t ask me for permission to relay and why should they? I’m not sure what JTA means by “Unauthorized relay of KIPM”? Ops certainly don’t need my permission. It is pirate radio. I think that by its very nature all true “pirate radio” is “unauthorized”. Please understand that JTA has never been even remotely involved with my station or productions. JTA certainly doesn’t speak for me, my programming, or my station. Again, I appreciate you guys taking the time to honor KIPM with relays.

Regarding “Studio Copies of Shows / Downloads / Donations”

I know there are 2 or 3 sites that have studio (mono) shows available for download. These shows were posted contrary to my original requests asking listeners to not duplicate. However, since a couple folks ignored my requests and posted the shows online, I really had little choice at the time but accept the situation. Frankly, I wish these download sites didn’t exist for the studio copies. At this point I would ask that owners of sites with (studio) copies to please remove these shows. Keeping them online is done contrary to my wishes, and by such act, the owner accepts all related liability. One thing is for sure, I certainly hope nobody pays anyone else for the privilege of downloading the old shows. While I suggested a few years ago that one could make a donation to FRN or similar site in appreciation for programming, I might make a more appropriate suggestion: Instead of a donations to an unrelated 3rd-party, simply drop me an email and let me know what you thought of the show(s).

Not sure why you didn’t get a QSL Gristle? I tried to be as close to 100% return as possible. I even sent QSL replies to the a$$h*&@’s in the community. Luckily, there are only a few! I’ll try and make it up in the future to you Gristle.

Until Next Time,

I’m Alan Maxwell

KIPM

KIPM_OuterLimits@Hotmail.com

Sealord

Post by Sealord » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:25 am

Hell yeah, the legend returns!

Good to see ya again Alan! :)
North East Florida
RX-340/Endfire Broadside Verticals
Off Air Recordings
QSL's appreciated: sealord40m@gmail.com

Leaf Mason

Post by Leaf Mason » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:37 pm

AlanMaxwell wrote: Please understand that JTA has never been even remotely involved with my station or productions. JTA certainly doesn’t speak for me, my programming, or my station. Again, I appreciate you guys taking the time to honor KIPM with relays.
Is it possible that these comments by "JTA" were really the Bun? Or perhaps suggested by the Bun? Many people have suggested that JTA and the Mad Hare are one in the same. And we all know how much the Bun HATES anyone relaying anything. Seems to me that this all could easily be another bunny hissy-fit due to not being in control of everything on pirate SW.

On a different note, it's GREAT to see you surface Alan! We love hearing the classic KIPMs via relay.
More sauce, less taco!

The Poet

Post by The Poet » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:49 am

Alan,
Thank you for the clarification and update. 'Tis an honor to have you posting on the Free Radio Cafe!

Leaf,
Enough people have actually met both John Arthur and Pat Murphy in person,
that we can at least be assured that they are not the same person.
They are known to be long-time friends since the late 80s.

However, it was Pat Murphy who first characterized certain relays
of KIPM programs as being "unauthorized", a couple years ago,
so it would appear that JTA was merely following Pat's lead on the subject.
The Poet
"A treasonous voice of dissent"
'Demonstrating a Deliberate Disregard for the FCC's Authority and Its Rules,' Amen!

The Crystal Ship :: Shortwave Pirate Radio
tcsshortwave@gmail.com
Free Radio Cafe on Facebook
Follow FRC Loggings on Twitter

avranesjr

Post by avranesjr » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:30 pm

Alan,
Will you please please please please pretty please consider producing new shows? I know there would be an awful lot of folks (especially those like me that never got to hear the orginals as you aired them) that would be pleased as punch if you did!!!

AlanMaxwell

Post by AlanMaxwell » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:44 pm

Actually I have been producing new shows for several years now. And have many more in various stages of development.

Those listeners who have patience will be rewarded one day with what I consider some of the best work I have ever done. My hope is to one day air the material myself with the highest standards that many remember from KIPM. If for some reason I should not be able to air myself, I have put into place contingency plans to have studio copies of all new shows made available to several operators in the community. So for instance if I get hit by a bus, several packages go in the mail automatically per my instruction. So one way or another, the spoils will go to the patient listeners of the future.

Nobody wants to air the shows sooner than I trust me!

Until Next Time,

I’m Alan Maxwell

Sealord

Post by Sealord » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:41 pm

Great to hear there's more shows on the shelf Alan!

No worries on the time - 'tween listening to my archived KIPM recordings and the occasional relay, I still get to hear your station in one form or another for the interim.

I do miss that awesome sideband flame thrower signal you had though :)
North East Florida
RX-340/Endfire Broadside Verticals
Off Air Recordings
QSL's appreciated: sealord40m@gmail.com

AlanMaxwell

Post by AlanMaxwell » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:33 pm

Man I truly miss it too!

The only thing more fun that producing the shows is the awesome experience of t/x'ing behind the control panel of the KIPM Electrum!
Attachments
Electrum Control Panel.jpg
Electrum Control Panel.jpg (25.93 KiB) Viewed 1223 times