Jay Smilkstein Dead?

General Discussion of Pirate Radio, Free Radio, Pirate Radio Stations, Pirate Radio Listening, Shortwave Listening, Music, Movies, Society, Culture, & whatever else.
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Gristle
Location: Central Wisconsin(State currently under occupation by a fascist corpratocracy)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Jay Smilkstein Dead?

Post by Gristle » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:03 pm

Ragnar just tweeted that Jay has passed away. No other info available that I could find.

The Poet

Re: Jay Smilkstein Dead?

Post by The Poet » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:54 pm

From the WBCQ website:

"We have received word that Jay Smilkstein, our longtime friend and WBCQ fan, passed away at his home on Monday, March 12, 2012.

If you would like to know more about where to send your expressions of sympathy, please contact me via e-mail at radio@zappahead.net.

Larry Will, WBCQ"

Rest in peace, Jay.
The Poet
"A treasonous voice of dissent"
'Demonstrating a Deliberate Disregard for the FCC's Authority and Its Rules,' Amen!

The Crystal Ship :: Shortwave Pirate Radio
tcsshortwave@gmail.com
Free Radio Cafe on Facebook
Follow FRC Loggings on Twitter

Leaf Mason
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Jay Smilkstein Dead?

Post by Leaf Mason » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:33 am

I find this vaguely disturbing. Never met the man, but the legend is huge in my mind. I am left with many questions, not the least of which are:
Where's Fansome with his obits when you need him?
What's going to happen to all of Jay's sweet equipment and rare parts?
More sauce, less taco!

Fansome

Post by Fansome » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:50 pm

Sorry, I didn't think it necessary to post anything here.

http://www.hfunderground.com/board/inde ... 552.0.html

I never met the guy, but I certainly read enough about him, and heard the various recordings on the air. I know that he had been in the hospital a few years back with heart trouble, but I hadn't heard anything recently.

He seemed a troubled soul, and I hope things are better for him on the other side.

Gristle
Location: Central Wisconsin(State currently under occupation by a fascist corpratocracy)

Post by Gristle » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:50 pm

Thanks Al.