HOW TO JOIN: Registration Info, Forum Rules

Post All Non-Broadcast loggings and other information here: Spy Numbers, Beacons, Utilities, Military, MARS nets, etc.
Site Admin

HOW TO JOIN: Registration Info, Forum Rules

Post by JohnPoet » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:29 am

Registration and Posting

How To Join:
1. Use the "Register" link near the top-right of the forum to create a username and password and submit a working email address. (A confirmation email will be sent to that address within a few minutes.)

2. Answer the spambot question on the registration form. [/u][/b]. If you're completely new to pirate radio, but sincerely interested in participating in this forum, and get stumped by the question, you can contact me at about your interest, and I'll help you out. Sorry for the inconvenience....

3. Click the confirmation link which you will receive at the email address you submitted. Newly registered members FIRST POST(s) will be held for moderation until approved by an admin or moderator, before they appear on the board (just to make sure no spammers get back in here). PLEASE do not keep repeating the same post-- it won't show up any sooner and will just annoy me. I usually check the moderation queue at least once daily, please be patient. When your first post has been approved, all future posts will show IMMEDIATELY.

To SPEED UP Moderator approval of your first post, drop me a line at letting me know about your "first post", as I sometimes forget to check.

4. Full Access: To gain access to the 'MEMBERS ONLY' downloads section, you must be LOGGED IN to the forums.

GENERAL FORUM RULES (Updated Nov. 2013)
We will start out with just a few common-sense rules. Please check here occasionally for updates. The fact is, these rules have been very rarely invoked against anyone, and are mainly a fallback position against any real "hard cases" that should come along... but here they are:

Try to keep things reasonably clean. There are only three words I've disallowed, and if you're adding extra characters in order to post them, there's a good chance you're going to be in trouble. The words not on the list, well-- you're probably better off not directing them at another person. See #2.

2. TRY TO MAINTAIN A REASONABLE CIVILITY LEVEL so that all participants may enjoy the forums.
Sometimes people will disagree on an issue. Sometimes someone will rub you the wrong way. That is expected.
Try to handle it like an adult, and not descend into the rhetorical sewers. No "calling out" of specific forum participants in order to start a public fight. I guess they call that 'flaming' when directed at one person, and 'trolling' in general.

No 'outing pirates'. No 'outing listeners'. No 'outing ham radio operators'. No 'outing' anyone else I've forgotten to mention. VIOLATORS WILL BE SUBJECT TO BANNING!

Personal info means:
real names (except as forum participants may identify themselves),
address information
cities of residence
other sensitive personal information
(Any information willingly revealed by posters themselves is excluded from the above).

What do I mean by 'excessive'? Well, I suppose we shouldn't see more than about one thread per week opened by a specific operator for purposes of self-promotion. Not that we're going to sit here and 'count them', but if its more than that it will be obvious, and excessive posts may be removed, and you could be subject to disciplinary action.

Sockpuppet definition from Wikipedia:
"A sockpuppet is an online identity used for purposes of deception within an online community. In its earliest usage, a sockpuppet was a false identity through which a member of an Internet community speaks with or about himself or herself, pretending to be a different person,[1] like a ventriloquist manipulating a hand puppet.
In current usage, the perception of the term has been extended beyond second identities of people who already post in a forum or blog to include other uses of misleading online identities. For example, a New York Times article claims that "sockpuppeting" is defined as "the act of creating a fake online identity to praise, defend or create the illusion of support for one's self, allies or company."[2]
The key difference between a sockpuppet and a regular pseudonym (sometimes termed an "alt" which is short for alternate, as in alternate identity) is the pretense that the puppet is a third party who is not affiliated with the puppeteer or acting under their control for their benefit."

Unlike some other forums, this forum is not going to be allowed to degrade into a circus "of the sockpuppets, by the sockpuppets, for the sockpuppets, and about the sockpuppets"! The above definition ought to be ample explanation of what we are talking about here. A sockpuppet is defined by its use by the owner.

Alternate identies which are specific to a particular pirate station, are allowable. However, they must NOT be used in a manner according to the definitions of "sock-puppet" above. A good rule of thumb, if you register any alternate identies, is, don't get involved in conversations with, or about, any other identities you may own. Especially, don't use MORE THAN ONE identity to post in any controversial threads.

Just not a good idea in general, and may result in posts being deleted.

Members should avoid habitual or numerous posting of off-topic or nonsensical threads or posts.
"Habitual or numerous" means posting them in such numbers that they become an annoyance to other members. Admin reserves the right to delete such posts and warn offenders. Extreme cases could result in the members' account being banned for a duration to be determined by the admin.

New threads in loggings sections should contain only station loggings. Additional communications between listeners, or between listeners and the station operator, are permissible as a limited number of additional posts in the loggings thread.

This forum is intended for information and discussion of topics related to radio and electronics, and particularly pirate radio. There are plenty of other places to discuss religion and political issues. Therefore:

A. Religion: The opening of discussions related to tenets of the various religious faiths is strongly discouraged, and such posts/threads will likely be removed by the site admin.

B. Politics: Discussions or posts related to political parties or issues, without a radio tie-in, are discouraged, and may be removed at the discretion of the admin.

C. Pirate station politics: If a pirate station takes stands on various political issues while on the air, (such as my own station, 'The Crystal Ship' sometimes does), it is permissible for those logging the station to include their own
opinions or comments on the content within their logging, as long as it is done in a civil, non-abusive manner. However, no extended debates on such issues are to be conducted in the loggings section.

I'm all for 'free speech', but that does not include willful abuse of other participants, or excessive use of profanity,
or an excessive number of off-topic or nonsensical posts.

There is a built-in "warning system" on this forum which may be used at some point.

These 'general rules' will serve as a "guide", and might only be applied to the more extreme cases. Failure to enforce a stated rule in every specific case should not be interpreted as abandonment of the stated rule.

The administration reserves the right to suspend or ban anyone for adequate cause. Duration of banning can be anywhere from an hour to forever. 'Adequate cause' will be determined by the forum administration.
Don't worry, I tend to be a laid-back reasonable guy... but if you come in here with a baseball bat and 'swing away'-- at other users, or at the admins--- or if you post thread after thread about your own station until everyone is sick-to-death of you--- then you will be asking for trouble.

Wouldn't it be great if we didn't have to have any rules?
Then I wouldn't have to have spent all this time writing this post...

Have fun, folks!
John Poet
"A treasonous voice of dissent"
Free Radio Cafe Board Admin

Free Radio Cafe on Facebook
Follow FRC Loggings on Twitter