What kind of shortwave receiver & antenna do you use?

Tell us about your shortwave radio listening post! Discuss shortwave radio receivers, shortwave antennas, shortwave radio reviews, other shortwave radio equipment for SWLing.
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
JohnPoet
Site Admin

What kind of shortwave receiver & antenna do you use?

Post by JohnPoet » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:03 pm

Listening to shortwave pirates who have much less power than the big international broadcasters often requires a desktop receiver hooked to some kind of outdoor shortwave antenna. In good conditions, listeners sometimes are able to pull in certain pirates with a portable receiver and only a whip antenna, if the range isn't too long, but those are usually exceptions.

I use an ICOM R-75 receiver, which I especially like because the digital noise reduction helps pull in those weaker or far-off pirate stations out of the noise. Currently I use an "inverted V dipole" cut for 6.9 mHz for reception, fed with 300 ohm twinlead to a small antenna tuner, which makes it more of an all-band antenna. (The feedline is a holdover from my transmitting days, which should really be changed to 52 ohm coaxial cable to reduce some of the local noise, but I haven't gotten around to it.) I also have a Realistic DX-394 receiver, which does all right with more powerful AM pirates, but is just about useless for SSB single sidebands.

What kind of shortwave receivers and antennas do you use?
John Poet
"A treasonous voice of dissent"
Free Radio Cafe Board Admin

Free Radio Cafe on Facebook
Follow FRC Loggings on Twitter

augustrose
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: What kind of shortwave receiver & antenna do you use?

Post by augustrose » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:34 pm

I'm a junior pirate and don't really understand most of this or where to start, but I just wanted to chime in after getting John's email. I'm looking forward to decoding the posts to follow.

jFarley
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by jFarley » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:09 pm

Primary rx nowadays is an SDR-IQ using SDR Console as the host. I also use A Drake R8 from time to time, and less frequently an R7. This has an absolutely arcane tuning system, but the true IF notch filter is incredible.

I tend to use resonant loops whenever possible, and I have 3 with overlapping coverage from 1500 to 18000kHz. The workhorse loop tunes from 2500-7500kHz, and is permanently mounted on a rotor to aid in depressing QRN. It is located about 150' from the house.

I also use an ALA 1530 loop for LF NDB reception, as well as the top of the HF spectrum.
Last edited by jFarley on Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Farley
SDR-IQ/R8, remote tuned amplified loop, 40M folded dipole

sparq_99

Post by sparq_99 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:43 am

I use an Icom 7000 and a 102' G5RV antenna for most of my pirate listening. Small lot, and part of the antenna has to run through the attic, but not bad over all.
For other shortwave listening I will often use a Sony 7600GR, but also several older radios such as a Hallicrafters and a Realistic DX-160 for old times' sake - my first SW radio when I was a youngster.
Robert AK3Q

Docbar

Post by Docbar » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:00 pm

icom ic-7000 or 735 hooked to gr5v at about 35 ft above ground one oriented NS the other EW or a hallicrafters s38a and a longwire if im feeling nostalgic

Oly1959

Post by Oly1959 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:52 pm

Hello Poet, I am now using a Drake R8A into a Alpha Delta Sloper. Been working really good. Back up is a Sony 2010 if I am out and about. :D Also use the Netherlands Twente web SDR to listen to European Pirate Radio. Great SDR! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Oly1959 on Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DXing' with a Drake R8A/Afedri Net SDR into a full size G5RV here in the Land of 10,000 Lakes. Please QSL at solson4508@gmail.com. Thanks and have a great day my friend! "Long Live Pirate Radio!"

kilocyclemark

Post by kilocyclemark » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:06 pm

Using a Wellbrook ALA-100 loop as the antenna here. A broadband loop seems to give the best compromise between performance and easy operation for me. For the same reason I like SDR radios and currently use SDR-IQ or Elad FDM-S1.

The antenna is in the woods at the weekend house, so unfortunately no listening for Pirates during weeknights for me...
Regards: Mark

In the beginning, everyone was a Pirate!

RUFree55

Post by RUFree55 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:47 am

Hello DX ers.
The radio I currently use for SW listening is a Grundig Satelite 750,
with an external inverted V Dipole 180' ,fed by a Balanced DBL Grnd RG 58 into a tuner.
The USB & LSB are clear in the evening and the upper frequencies on SW pull in pretty clear during daylight hours when the ionosphere is active.
Antenna Elev: 30'
Elevation : 1400'
NE Al.

Radio Echo One

Post by Radio Echo One » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:46 pm

I have two radios that I use to listen in.

One is named Hermione - a Grundig ConcertBoy (model 225A).

The second is an ATS 909x named Enid

Sealord

Post by Sealord » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:59 pm

My main receiver is a Ten-Tec RX-340 which I've used since 2000 and is still going strong. One of the things I love about this radio other than it's performance, is the audio quality you get when using the DC coupled audio tap straight from the amplifier normally used for utility decoding and provides the full audio frequency bandwidth.

My antenna setup is either a DX Engineering 4 Square or their 8 circle array. The 4 Square has better front to back performance, but doesn't have as tight of lobe or lower take off angle as the 8 circle does so it depends on conditions as to which one is used. Both of these antenna systems have made life easier when it comes to install & maintenance issues. I've used phased loops, T2FD & EWE setups in the past and the phased verticals have been the best overall performers yet.
North East Florida
RX-340/Endfire Broadside Verticals
Off Air Recordings
QSL's appreciated: sealord40m@gmail.com

Blakkzakk

Post by Blakkzakk » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:07 am

Icom R75 with a 130' longwire about 20' high, which is also my ham antenna for my TS-830S. I'm also restoring an R390A.
I'm buying a place in the country with lots of room and no HOAs, so my antenna farm will be improved.
Current gear as of 6-6-13:
Kenwood TS-830S with MFJ 949E Tuner, Kenwood MC-50 mic,
Icom IC 211 all mode 2M
Yaesu VX-8DR HT
Mapleleaf Studios QSO King longwire (131') for HF transmitting and SWLing
Homebrew 2m J-pole
Diamond CR627B mobile antenna
Icom R75 receiver
Currently working on a rebuild, modification, and alignment of an Amelco-built Collins R390A receiver.

scorpion

Post by scorpion » Thu May 14, 2015 10:49 pm

Howdy, gang,..use my Kenwood TS-140 nice hf rig,...get a charge out of using it along with my old Heathkit HW-16 and a dowkey,..antenna inv "L" 75 feet long, about 30 feet high, home built tuner from Army ARC-5 parts..

Peat

Post by Peat » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:12 am

I'm just now breaking into the hobby and have a lot to learn. I purchased a Kaito 1103 about a month and a half ago. It's served me well as an inexpensive introduction to SW listening, but I'm finding the ergonomics of the KA1103 very unintuitive. I have since ordered the new Tecsun PL-680, which should be arriving later this week. As for antennas, I've just been using the longwire antenna included with my Kaito 1103, as well as a Sangean ANT-60.