Pirate Radio Air Force

Pirate FM broadcasting: how to start a pirate FM radio station, discuss or review FM broadcast transmitters, FM broadcast antennas, FM amplifiers, audio processing, software, radio station equipment, and issues related to pirate FM broadcasting.
Rogue Wave

Pirate Radio Air Force

Post by Rogue Wave » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:37 am

The Swedish based BitTorrent server, "The Pirate Bay," has announced that to keep their servers safe from law enforcement they will be experimenting with sending their servers miles above Sweden. The Pirate Bay's MrSpock says they will use unmanned GPS-controlled drones and the Raspberry Pi (a $35 micro computer the size of a thumb drive that includes a WiFi and SD card slot for storage). I see it as possible but difficult.

What I do see working well is a FM station on a GPS-controlled drone. It only needs to be in the air during broadcasts. Transmitter power can be kept to a minimum since FM line of sight restrictions would be non-existent. If the transmitter is not turned on till the drone is at altitude and turned off before landing I see it as almost impossible to locate. The show would be loaded onto an iPod so a traceable continuous ground link would be unnecessary. It still would take an effort to pull it off, but I know there are those who would go out of their way to make it work.

It will be interesting to see when and where the first broadcaster starts the Pirate Radio Air Force.
Rogue Wave
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Rogue Wave

Re: Pirate Radio Air Force

Post by Rogue Wave » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:00 pm

I thought this would take a little effort to put together. I looks like it could be done easily.

On the market is a product called ArduPlane. It says "it will convert any RC airplane into a fully-autonomous UAV! Just add the ArduPilot Mega autopilot to any RC aircraft and it becomes a fully-programmable flying robot with a powerful ground station and Mission Planner." This product will allow a drone to stay in a designated area until recalled.
http://code.google.com/p/ardupilot-mega ... troduction

Then there are these two guys who built a small flying spy drone that cracks Wi-Fi and cell data. They say it is small but look at the pic.
WASP.jpg
WASP.jpg (68.29 KiB) Viewed 2413 times
The duo discussed how to build the WASP at the 2011 DEFCON 19 hacking conference.
http://www.uasvision.com/2011/08/04/was ... -networks/

This would be a perfect platform for a FM pirate transmitter.
Of course Power is the key. How long can you stay in the air transmitting?
Rogue Wave
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.